Monday, September 19, 2011

DRIVE, directed by Nicolas Winding Refn, screenplay by Hossein Amini, based on the book by James Sallis

Friday morning premieres, like at 10 AM are my favorites.  Generally there are only five or six other poor souls in a huge empty theater.  That's what I'm talking about.  I sneak in my coffee and donut, and relax.  I like to arrive during the trailers and let my eyes adjust.  I have the choice of my favorite seat, usually three rows from the back and in the middle.  This puts me at a relaxing eye level view of the screen and fills my peripheral vision.  I don't like anyone sitting anywhere near me -- not in same row, not behind me, not in front of me. 


"Drive" is a feast for the eyes and I really enjoyed this movie.  Hurry in to see it before it becomes popular so you can be ahead of the curve.   I saw it at 9:50 AM screening, and after that I was able to watch the last half of "Contagion" in another theater.  I troll the multiplex.  Unfortunately the last half of "Contagion" was just as bad as the first half that I saw the week before.  I had to leave the theater in disgust when Jude Law's character shows up on the street in his home made germ protector outfit looking like  Buzz Light Year on Halloween.


The look of "Drive" is a big part of its content.  It's not intrusive -- it is an addition.  The cinematography uses classic thirds, not just sometimes -- all the time, every shot.  It's incredible to watch thanks to director of photography Newton Thomas Sigel and production designer Beth Mickle. The story is shown, not told.  The use of selective focus, exquisite lighting, and a galaxy of color completes the whole picture and schools everyone in the power of images.  Film is indeed a visual medium.  

  "Drive" is a good drama, with minimal dialog, and plenty of emotion.  There are a few acts of graphic violence.   And how about quilted Okinawa jacket with a scorpian on the back and blood on the front.  A new fashion wave?  No, but it worked for the Ryan Gosling character, that and his toothpick.  A companion film with remarkable similarities is "A History of Violence".  See them both.  Report back.

No comments:

Post a Comment