Tuesday, September 11, 2012

The Possession


“The Possession”
Directed by Ole Bornedal, written by Juliet Snowden and Stephen Susco
2012

 What is my mission in life?  This is what I wondered toward the end of “The Possession”.  It made me ask this question.  Persistence and family togetherness pays off in the end, is one of the themes of this scary story about, what turns out to be a Jewish exorcism, sort of.  None of the main characters, except the evil spirit, are Jews. 
 This is the story of a very nice family, post divorce, and an evil spirit that possesses the youngest daughter.  The casting was perfect, the cinematography and production design was above average, and the acting was average.  It was a trip down evil spirit lane,
predictable in every way, full of jumps in narrative logic, and enjoyable ‘at the time of watching’ only.
 There are some films that are enjoyable ‘at the time of watching’.  Some films are a torture to watch and I leave as soon as I realize I’m being film boarded.  I can sit in the theater and I enjoy myself at some level for some films as long as I don’t think too hard and the film isn’t too long.   That’s one level of success for a film.  However, this type of film is forgotten before I get to the car.  I like films that reward the dedicated viewer.  Films that you can talk about for hours are really good films. 
 “The Possession” is not a memorable film in any way, nor was it trying to be.  
 I was hoping to be the only person at the 11 AM screening at AMC Rosedale and have a private frightening.  I entered the theater during the trailers and spotted one woman sitting in the back row middle.  I gave her plenty of space and knew she was peeved at having to share the theater with me.  There would be two of us.  I guess I was peeved too but soon forgot while watching the trailer for “Sinister” which turned out to be better than the feature I was about to watch.
 Does the fact that this woman and I shared similar feelings of fright, hope, sadness, and joy, simultaneously in a dark theater connect us in any way?  Was I supposed to high five her afterwards?  Was I supposed to look at her?  I didn’t.  I never looked back and left after the credits.  She was still there, or at least out of my field of vision, I think.  She did not want to risk eye contact or face a moment of silent recognition that we had just witnessed an exorcism together.  I never turned back to look.  She might have been spewing green slime and her head could have been swiveling.  If you ever come across a small wooden box at a garage sale, don’t touch it.

No comments:

Post a Comment